Seamly2D test build for Windows! šŸš€

We did it!!!šŸš€šŸ¾šŸ„‚

Here is a Seamly2D 6.0 test build for Windows. Please test before we post on website. https://www.dropbox.com/s/4wlzi2wvxq65d0a/seamly2d_0.6.0.0a-20171204085714.zip?dl=0 Not an easy undertaking, so everyone with Windows test this before we make the ā€œrealā€ test build and release it on our website.

NOTE:

• It does NOT have fixes or bugs of the other fork since September.
  • You need admin rights to install. This will be fixed in a few days, ā€˜unrecognized publisherā€™ will change to ā€˜Seamly, LLCā€™.
5 Likes

Great! :hugs::clap::champagne::hearts: So, we on Ubuntu will get a nice (pre-)christmas-present? :wink:

@moniaqua - weā€™re working on it!

Oh, wow!!! Congratulations. Iā€™ll spend the day testing it :grin:

Thank you very, very much

1 Like

Woo hoo!

Off the topā€¦ I assume we want bugs reported first on the forumsā€¦ then if itā€™s deemed as real bug to open an issue on Github?

Slight problem / confusion - that always existed - is there is a Help -> menu item to ā€œreport bugsā€ that takes one to Github issues, but then says to return to the forums if it hasnā€™t been discussed and finalized.

1. One would not ā€œreturningā€ to the forums - they came from the program.
  2. Youā€™re forcing users to join the forums to report bugs.

Is there a convenient way to bypass Github and the forums log in to be able to post a bug report to a ā€œBugsā€ only category?

2 Likes

On Github, when you create an issue you see the message to join the forum first and discuss the issue with the community. If youā€™ve already done that, then you can create an issue.

Always, openly discuss with community first. This avoids mistakes. For projects like Inkscape Embroidery thereā€™s not enough community to warrant a forum, so all discussion is welcome on the developerā€™s issues list. There are not that many users compared to our project. Imagine half our forum threads on the issues list ā€“ it would be difficult to moderate two forums! So, we differentiate between the forum and the issues list.

Two factors at work here:

1. Open source, community first. In open source, rogue issue posters are asked to check the forum before posting. I have received this reponse several times myself, years ago when I first started trying to contribute to open source. We all live and learn.
  2. Anonymous users waste developer time, Discussion with anonymous posters is difficult, because thereā€™s no email address for sending updates when developers ask them questions etc. If theyā€™re serious about the issue, theyā€™ll log in.

User conveniences at the expense of developer time is not a good tradeoff. Sorry. :slight_smile:

I get itā€¦ I just donā€™t know if itā€™s a good thing to offer a user who is not on the forums or Github to the option to send a bug report and send them around in circles. Also since Iā€™m always logged inā€¦ what happens if you donā€™t have a github accountā€¦ can you even create an issue? Maybe the easy solution is to just remove the Help ā†’ report bugs menu item? Or change the menu to put up a dialog directing a user if they want to report a bug to join and post in the forums?

We could add a ā€˜Submit bugā€™ link in the About section, and the link would take them to the forum.

Thereā€™s already a submit link that takes one to the Github ā†’ issuesā€¦ which or course where one is presented with ā€œreturn to forumsā€ msg. Would make more sense - if the bug report link remains - that it is changed to take one to the forums, not Github issues. I would also create a new or rename Issues category ā€œBug Reportsā€ as most lay person users wonā€™t relate to ā€œIssuesā€, but generally understand ā€œBug Reportsā€. It also keeps continuityā€¦ like the menu item and forum CAT are both labeled Bug Report. Of course the link should take one right to the category.