April 15th Release

What’s chnaged in this weeks release…

1. There is a new pattern schema ver 0.6.9 and it changes the xml tags “Increment(s)” to “Variable(s)”.

2. The default piece label template is fixed.

3. Thanks to @Onetchou and Jim we now have a new Import Image tool where you can load background images onto the draft mode workspace.

7 Likes

I’ve just downloaded the latest update 2020.04.15.250 … can’t see an import option… I was expecting it to be under files menu… I’m using a mac sonnoma 14.4.1

1 Like

1 Like

Thank you ! Obviously my observational skills are somewhat lacking !!! :rofl:

1 Like

brilliant I Just traced a simple pattern, works well… the lock image feature is really helpful ! It took a bit of calculation to size the image correctly … ( originally it was a pdf, I don’t have software to convert to png, as yet. So a screen shot had to suffice so taking a simple measurement check from two known point, was the only way i could think of and then checking from the original pattern to the screen, seems to have worked well … the proof will be tomorrow when i project the images and compare them!

2 Likes

Good to hear.

Note that this is just the first release of the feature. It will be improved, specifically with saving the images & attributes in the pattern file. Also eventually there will be some way to scale the image to what it should measure.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I’ve been testing the pattern & found that if I saved a screenshot of the properties, I could close the pattern and, when I open the pattern I can just copy the dimensions and positions into the properties to have the image placed exactly where it was before I closed the pattern. Here’s a short video clip… No sound:

2 Likes

couldn’t open the video for some reason but how do you size the image? i put in a 1x1 square and just tryed to eyeball it to match?

2 Likes

This is just the initial release of the tool… there will be some way to scale an image to correct size in subsequent improvements.

What I would do for now…assuming you’re tracing an existing pattern - draw a square of known size (3" x 3" ?) on the piece, snap a photo, import the photo. Draft a square in Seamly of the same known size, and then resize the image so the squares match up.

4 Likes

Here’s a small “How to” pdf on how to use the Image Tool:

Image Tool.pdf (664.2 KB)

Please let me know if I’ve missed something before I upload it to the Wiki.

3 Likes

@emily

Try starting your patterns by opening one of these grids, then saving to a new file name & creating your patterns in one or more additional draft blocks.

One file is 3x3cm, the other is 3x3in:

grid-3cm.sm2d (7.0 KB)

grid-3in.sm2d (7.0 KB)

1 Like