Rebranding Seamly2D

Hello everybody,

I worked my way through the wiki and replaced most of the occurences of “Valentina” through Seamly2D in the english version. I also wrote a small article about the fork to clarify the situation : Fork - Seamly2D . This article is linked in the “about” box of the main page. Feel free to add more information to it.

I slightly updated the Roadmap : Roadmap - Seamly2D

It’s been more than 6 months since the fork and the renaming from Valentina to Seamly2D. All of the domains are still using the name Valentina, the social medias as well. Valentina and Seamly2D are now 2 distinct projects, it is important to achieve a better separation.

Why doesn’t it come forward? Do you need help? I work as a web developper and know my way around domains etc. And what I don’t know, I can learn, so I can help! @slspencer, you can contact me.

Also it seems that the transifex file used for Seamly2D and Valentina are the same (correct me if I’m wrong). They need to be separated.

4 Likes

Oh, you’re a real sweetie-pie. I’m also wishing that the ‘Valentina’ part will be taken out everywhere, including the domain names.

Hi @ronanletiec,

Thanks for the updates! Here’s the new website, including the final branding logo. It’s not finished, obviously.

Are there any volunteers to separate the translations at Transifex? Or should we take up a collection and hire a professional?

2 Likes

As always, I’m happy to help where I can. I have no idea what Transifex is, but I’ll read up & check it out.

Love the new logo :heart_eyes:

Good to see that you have the domain seamly.net and working on a new website.

I would advise you to have the new website under a subdomain until it’s ready for launching, something like relaunch.seamly.net, and have the old Seamly2D Website under the seamly.net with a redirect from valentina-project.org to seamly.net.

Also it would be a good thing to have the following changes (with a redirects):

In the forum, the Blog-Link points toward https://valentinaproject.wordpress.com/, but there is already a seamly2D Blog existing : https://seamly2d.wordpress.com/

2 Likes

Yes, the wiki & forum will have new urls, and the old sites will redirect to the new ones. BLog link fixed.

2 Likes

@slspencer, I just went to https://seamly.net and was absolutely shocked at the change, and not in a completely good way. For all that the page looks sexier, the wall of market-speak text says NOTHING about what Seamly actually is or does. I honestly thought that I had gone to the wrong site or someone had highjacked it. It was only when I saw the download links at the bottom of the page that corrected my assumption. PLEASE correct this, even if you only add something like “Be your own brand. Seamly empowers everyone to freely design the clothing styles that suit them in Windows, LInux, and Mac OS.” As it stands, it honestly looks like an MLM/crypto/etc. ad.

3 Likes

Oh. Wow. I assume the redesign was to impress the people in Kentucky who are considering us for a grant, not people actually interested in using the software.

What I dislike about it:

• Changing logos every few years is not a good way to build presence of mind with potential users.
  • Keith’s right, it doesn’t do a very good job of communicating what Seamly is.
  • It promises now what Seamly is not quite ready to deliver.

I don’t feel like Socially Present made an effort to understand the soul of the project before designing the site.

What I like about it:

• The page is still accessible with scripts off, & is easily readable in lynx :partying_face:
  • Folks don’t have to jump through hoops just to get a copy of the software.
  • The logo is obviously sewing-related.
3 Likes

I would agree there… I thought the same thing. It goes further than that - it’s not like the logo has been replaced everywhere - it’s all different depending on where you’re at. No Bueno.

We need to pick one, and make that the one everywhere. Personally I hate the yellow one… but I don’t mind the newest one. I just need to know which one, and I can update ALL the application related logos.

4 Likes

Keep in mind that the website is under construction. We’re adding content, and it will continue to improve.

1 Like

I tried to download the app directly through the main page and I’m not allowed to do so. Period. You HAVE to submit your name and email address just to get a link to software that isn’t even properly described on the page. I am VERY disappointed that the page hasn’t been at least reset to the old version.

3 Likes

We’ll always require an email for download to prevent bots. We had this previously on the webpage, it went away for a few months during rewrite, and now its permanently back. We’ve also been adding blog articles to support understanding of the issues we’re challenging and solving with our software.

2 Likes

And some software you HAVE to pay for :wink: If you don’t want to leave an email, just go to the Github page and down the app. You can get any build upto the current build - which automagically happens every Sunday eve.

1 Like

Small price to pay. :slight_smile: Not to mention, doesn’t everyone have a dummy throwaway email these days that they use when they want to remain anonymous?

1 Like

Ok. I can go along with providing the email, my spamfilter is good enough. But what’s this supposed to be?

Don’t like this. Yes, spamfilter is good, but I want to have a choice here not to use it.

It’s a pity, I really liked the software and the ideas and wanted to start doing patterns again now that I finally will have time again, but it doesn’t look like it’s gonna be seamly this time :frowning:

2 Likes

@moniaqua, try the Releases page on GitHub instead: Releases · FashionFreedom/Seamly2D · GitHub

2 Likes

@moniaqua

Yes… I would also suggest the release page on Github. There is a new build every week, so if one chooses they can keep up to date with new changes.

2 Likes

Thank you, @Pneumarian and @Douglas

AppImage doesn’t make me too happy but at least the actual version seems to work, with some error messages. The one linked in the blue box in the forum didn’t work, I had tried that one before.

1 Like

@moniaqua, Just now noticed that the check box for receiving news is required. Nope, that’s not what we want. I’ll look into it.

• Sue
3 Likes

The errors are now fixed in the AppImage, try version v2022-12-27.1040, available on github as release: Release v2022-12-27.1040 · FashionFreedom/Seamly2D · GitHub

If you want to be automatically up to date, use flathub: Flathub—An app store and build service for Linux

3 Likes