Line/axis point tool: Anchor by lenght instead by angle degrees

Request : Need to put a point with the axis/line tool where the length of a new line « hits » an existing other line, to draw the shoulder slope with the right angle (Helen Joseph-Armstrong patternmaking method). I’ve red your answer to Ladysinaz (april 16) but couldn’t help as it is the length of the line to draw which determine where the new point will anchor while axis/line tool works only with degrees. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks

1 Like

How about using the Point at intersection of arc and line?

The 48.5 would then be the radius of the arc

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll try it with pleasure!

1 Like

Dear AVI, Sorry to tell: the suggestion doesn’t give the desired result. The Point at Intersection of Point and Line need to fix a rotation point along the line to create a radius, thereby breaking the continuity. In fact, I must find a way to “drag” a straight line to a point of intersection crossing a second line at the exact desired length (here 48.5cm). Any other hint?

1 Like

Your first point of the line should be A2, the 2nd on A6 because this is the line that the point needs to be on. Then the axis point is A with the distance which can be a formula.

I hope this helps.

Another way would be to use the arc tool to measure an arc from A to cross the line A2-A6, from about 90 degrees to about 160 degrees and then use the Point Intersect Arc and Axis tool to create a point at the intersection.

Which is basically what the Point at Intersection of Point and Line does, it’s only quicker and cleaner since it doesn’t add to the spider web of lines and arcs that one has to see through once your pattern starts getting really complicated :slight_smile:

Hey,

I made a little video on how to do this. This basicly draws an invisible arc from your point A to where it crosses your line A2_A6

Instead of the 17.25inches you would use your 48.5 cm or formula

Afterwards you can use line between points, to actually draw this line.

1 Like

Aaah, thanks @AVI, we really need more of these on all the different tools :slight_smile:

Very clear. Gonna try and get back to each of you. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

I’ll try also this way. Thanks

1 Like

:slight_smile: They’re both the same way.