Is anyone using 3D Body Scan Hardware or Apps

I had been trying to figure out how to do that for a while! Thanks :laughing:

1 Like

Hi @dllsfan, thank you for the tip on the Morris book. I managed to find it on the wayback machine and Iā€™ve been stuck on Chapter 1 for about 3 days now :frowning: Perhaps you can help me, please.

In the examples of the Divisional System, it mentions that the ā€˜Normal height for 46-inch bust = 66 inches.ā€™ How do we know or determine this?

Iā€™ve looked everywhere & either Iā€™m just not seeing it or Iā€™m completely dumb. Please help :slight_smile:

Ok, I think I have it figured :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :sunny:

I have the book and Iā€™m wearing it out so thanks for sharing that you found it on Wayback! Iā€™ve bookmarked it so I can save my poor book from coming apart :wink:

There are a few parts like that where I tore my hair out only to realize the answer was a few paragraphs down, so be prepared! In this case, skip right to the Summary paragraph at the end of the chapter:

Summary of the Constructional Points

(a) THE WORKING SCALE. Calculated as one-third of the breast size plus 6 inches for all sizes over a 36-inch bust. For a 36-inch bust and under the scale is equal to half the bust size.

(b) THE DEPTH OF SCYE. Calculated as one-third of the scale plus 1Ā¾ inches.

Ā© THE WIDTH OF THE BACK NECK. Calculated as one-sixth of the scale less Ā¼ inch.

(d) LENGTH OF THE FRONT BALANCE AND DEPTH. Calculated as equal to the depth of the scye plus one-twelfth of the scale.

(e) LOCATION OF THE FRONT NECK POINT FROM THE CENTRE FRONT LINE. Calculated as one-sixth of the scale.

(f) FRONT OF SCYE MEASURE. Calculated as half the scale less Ā¾ inch for a 36-inch bust and all sizes under. Over a 36-inch bust the calculation is one-fourth of the bust measure less Ā¾ inch.

(g) POSITION OF THE NECK POINT FROM THE FRONT OF THE SCYE. Calculated as one-sixth of the scale for a 36-inch bust and all sizes under. For sizes over a 36-inch bust the measure is constant at 3 inches.

There are a few modifications that you will need to make when it comes to a sloper for evening gowns, but youā€™ll see in the instructions when and how much to eliminate. These are the formulas (custom measurements) I use in my measurements chart to correspond:

For example, Iā€™m over a 36" bust so my scale measurement is 1/3 of the bust plus 6 inches. All of my measurement charts for 36" bust and under are written out as (1/2*bust_circ)

Keep in mind, you will still need to do some editing based on your design, but these blocks are a great starting point. Iā€™ve also made modifications when you get to the waist darts for the coats if you want to PM me when you get there :slight_smile:

P.S. The Front of Scye formula they have on Wayback is different from the one I have in my book by 1/4"

1 Like

Oooh, thank you very much :slight_smile: I will definitely contact you if I get stuck again :slight_smile:

Actually, what Iā€™m looking at is to create a multisize table using the height and width differences. And this is the first book that Iā€™ve found that really, really makes sense about it. So Iā€™d like to really understand the nitty-gritty behind it all :slight_smile: I think it would be wonderful if one can measure a persons height and bust & get most of the other measurements accordingly (Haha, wishful thinking, I guess, but hereā€™s to hoping).

Iā€™ve studied up on the heads theory in drawing and a bit on da Vinciā€™s theories trying to figure how one can incorporate it into pattern making, but itā€™s been an ongoing subject until now. Soā€¦ Really, thank you very much :slight_smile:

Old thread dredge, but does someone have a link for the Morris book? I couldnā€™t find it on the wayback machineā€¦

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks. Iā€™ll have a better look at it when Iā€™m not on my phone.

I have Aldridge, Armstrong and other books, but learning about ways of doing things differently can help overcome design problems.

1 Like

Oh, wow! Thatā€™s super impressive, Iā€™ll download and try this!! Thanks so much for the recommendation!

2 Likes

(FWIW, it is possible (ā€¦and not even that hard) to add custom measurements to MakeHuman, but LORD is it a monotonous PITA. OTOH, such measurements would make it fairly easy to design clothes for computer models to be used in games/animation/etc, making Seamly2d a viable option as a FOSS replacement for Marvelous Designer.)

3 Likes