Introductions Thread

Hi and welcome back, @Manicreative. We’re always happy to help where we can :slight_smile:

Ciao e bentornato, @Manicreative. Siamo sempre felici di aiutarti dove possiamo :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t saw this thread before. So here I am. I’m Corinne from France. I sew till about 30 years. My grand-father was a tailor but wouldn’t teach me how to do, so I learned by myself. I made lots of clothing for my children when they where young till they won’t have “home made” cloths. I hadn’t pattern, but was copying bought pieces. I’m personnaly “off the marks” and have a hard time finding what I like for my self. I bought books to make my own patterns for myself and my grand-children. I have often traced my pattern on kraft paper. I discovered Valentina last year and had a first go then but rather an overview. I bought a new sewing and embroidery machine last year but have been essentially sewing with it till then. In march I learned using Inkstitch with Inkscape to make embroidery designs to use with it. As I love open-source softwares, I downlaoded Seamly2D as I had read Valentina project had stopped and Seamly2D was a fork. I’m confortable usually using softwares so I could quite easily make some patterns for my grand-children with it. These are very simple patterns but I really need them. My main restraint with CAD generated patterns is the printing. I hate puzzles :rofl: and A0 printing in stores is a bit expensive. So I don’t know if i’ll keep to CAD pattern drafting, though it’s easy.

4 Likes

Hello and Welcome, @Vice-Versa. It’s very nice meet you and hear about you and your sewing journey. I hope that we will be able to help you to print your patterns to A4 without creating a total puzzle out of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello everyone from Bilbao Spain. My name Maite and I’m glad to be in this project. I dedicate myself to making patterns and I have used patterning software but until I discovered Seamly2d I have done them with librecad which is free software.
I apologize my English since this text is made with Google translator. I would love to share my knowledge and help build this much-needed fashion project.

4 Likes

Bienvenido!

We’re glad to have you here! Feel free to post in your native language & we can use Google Translate on our end, or post both sequentially, & when Google fails at good English, we can sometimes get a better picture of what’s being said from the original language.

¡Nos alegra tenerte aquí! Siéntase libre de publicar en su idioma nativo y podemos usar Google Translate en nuestro extremo, o publicar ambos secuencialmente, y cuando Google falla en un buen inglés, a veces podemos obtener una mejor idea de lo que se dice del idioma original.

1 Like

Hi all, my name is Karin ( Alias Carine ) I new on board and want to introduce me self. I´m an elderly woman, with an background in fashion design / pattern making / of course able to sewing each kind of clothes. Study at several fashion schools ( Germany ) in the late 70s with craftspaper, ruler and pencils. Later as mom of three, goodbye job, but I never gave up learning. My latest favorite hobby is sewing couture technique. I am very patiently and mindful. Now I found “Seamly2D”, Thank you to the founder Dear Mrs. Spencer for sharing this great software, Thank you to your Team of Members who worked on this great idea . Thank you to all Forum Members who answered with great knowledge, very friendly. I like to learn and to share with other talented people like you.

Please excuse my beginner English Greetings Carine

5 Likes

@Carine,

Welcome. I am glad you are here.

Herzlich willkommen. Ich bin froh, dass du hier bist

4 Likes

Hi, my name is Tanja. I’m from the Netherlands. I am sewing several years. Next week I am going to start my pattern drafting class so not much experience with drafting yet.

When searching the net I found seamly2d and I love the program so far and admire everyone who is spending time to make this such a wonderful project.

I hope to learn a lot.

4 Likes

Hello and welcome to our forum, @Tan.

It’s always so nice to meet the people and good luck with your studies in pattern drafting :slight_smile:

Please don’t hesitate to ask us, if you need any help. We are always happy to help.

1 Like

Hello my name is Aline and I’m from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I’m a digital signal processing DSc and the last time I contributed to a collaboration project was when I was at CERN in 2002. My code was in many different ATLAS releases for a decade :slight_smile: It was in C/C++. Nowadays I work as professor at a Electronic Engineering College teaching digital signal processing and pattern recognition. I found Seamly2D when I was searching the web for digital pattern making softwares. The reason behind the search is a project I’m working right now to motivate school year kids/adolescents to like applied science and engineering. I’m trying to use sewing as an example of the engineering method and pattern making as an example of computational thinking. I had a startup (Umaker) but we had to close due to the pandemic. During quarantine (8 months at home now) I met Jasmine and we are building a community called Costurando com tecnologia. We created a YouTube channel to teach Seamly2D. In fact I’m learning how to use it and creating videos of this process :smile:. I felt in love with this project and I’d like to thank you developers! It is going to be used a lot here in Brazil. Seamly2D is awesome! Congratulations!

6 Likes

Wow! @alinegesualdi and welcome to our community. No wonder I didn’t understand what you were suggesting in a previous post :rofl:

1 Like

bonjour je m’appelle véronique ,je suis française . ma fille adore s’habiller différemment hélas je n’ai pas bien écouter à l’école mes cours de coupe et c’est donc en cherchant sur le net que j’ai vu une vidéo de Sophie sur comment utiliser ce logiciel .J’avais essayé toute seule je n’y été pas arrivée.cela va beaucoup m’aider .Un grand merci au développeur .

3 Likes

Salut et bienvenue dans notre communauté, @filledu13 . Nous sommes un groupe sympathique et aimons vous aider, alors n’hésitez pas à demander si vous avez besoin d’aide.

Il y a beaucoup d’informations dans le wiki qui pourraient vous aider et, bien sûr, vous pouvez également trouver beaucoup de réponses dans le forum.

Hello and welcome to our community, @filledu13 . We are a friendly bunch and love to help, so please don’t hesitate to ask if you need help.

There is a lot of information in the wiki that could help you and, of course, you may also find a lot answers in the forum.

2 Likes

well, I am facing similar kind of problem. Professionally I provide 3d rendering services and with some projects while creating renders. Please any one over here who have prior experience please do let me know or feel free to share your valuable thoughts.

3 Likes

Hi & welcome, @aliahsan

I think it would be more a case of how you could help us :slight_smile: We all have the dream of seeing out garment designs in 3D after we have created the pattern. However, the closest I’ve come to architecture with Seamly2D is designing a cardboard cake box that resizes - I must say, it works very well. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Hi,

A little late, but natheless an intro:

I’m quite excited to have learned about this open-source software, Seamly2D. I saw a post about it’s forked-off version on the Bespoke Cutter And Tailor forum about two weeks ago.

I have worked since the 1980’s in the Computer, Graphics, CAD fields. Although I no longer work I still use these programs in my everyday projects and interests and love learning new software.

Most OTR clothes don’t fit me well and I’ve been making alterations to them since the 1970’s. My wife works in the medical world and hence, there are dinners, award ceremonies, conventions, fundraisers, etc. to go to and I have collected a sizable collection of sport-jackets that have all needed alterations. The more I learn about jacket construction and tailoring, the more I want to make my own. I was in the process of making a pencil and paper draft when I found Seamly2D.

I’ve been consumed by it for the past two weeks. Learning a lot and here are my efforts so far. PS, I’m in the Salt Lake City area. I only live here, I’m not from here.

6 Likes

Hello & welcome, @Voncarlos

I’m always so excited to read peoples introductions on this thread. And I’m amazed at how quickly you have settled into pattern making and Seamly2D.

And yes, this is my 4th year and I’m still totally consumed by it. Thank you very much for sharing :star_struck:

3 Likes

I guess you could say I’m consumed by it… in more ways than most. Lol

3 Likes

Nothing wrong per se with the other, but glad you found this fork. Amongst other fields, I have 40+ years of pattern making experience, and am using that experience to bring features to Seamly2D that are needed.

6 Likes

Hi all,

i’m from portugal and have a small sewing academy. Recent i discovered this amazing software and love it. It help me a lot on my online classes. I’m a complete newbie with valentina, but hope to learn with you :slight_smile:

6 Likes