Best export format for blender cloth

Hi , We are developing a virtual fitting room product for e-commerce websites. Our stack is blender and opencv for now. check this link here (experimental link we can take it down anytime

check the quality of cloth simulations we do in blender here

Valentina looks promising to generate the inputs for our flow. Is the .obj exporter functional. Or can some one suggest me other formats to look at ?

Right now we ask our Fashion Designer to do it in coral draw , trace the image in blender using bezier curves to generate the mesh. Please suggest efficient methods for the same. Thanks!

Unfortunately no. We have experimental implementation, but it is incorrect for your purposes.

The thing is we have a piece. This piece is a path of points (polygon). But you need a mesh. Look at my expirience in this direction:

Right now this feature has very low priority. We don’t have hands to add it. I need time for experiments i don’t have. Many ask us about this feature, but none want spend time and add this feature.

As i know there is possibility that we can export in .obj file just a path and Blender will open such file normally. But that just an idea. I don’t plan this feature in this year. Sorry.

Hey … I was experimenting with my first pattern and .svg should work well for our purpose as we are expecting outlines as an input.

We are working on an addon in blender. We have a written a mesh generator by taking the path/outline as an input. check the mesh generator here.

Also my issues with .svg format I mentioned here , please help if there are quick fixes/hacks to get me going?

Sorry, but i can’t help you.

Valentina doesn’t provide path as bezier curve.

added a small comparision video of two meshing algorithms here

Maybe I was not clear in the above video , I realized there is a .val to store and I am assuming that is an open format.

Is it possible for me to write a script to read , just the corner points with the tags like A0 , A1 etc and spline information Spline_A0_A1(along with the bezier parameters that are creating the curve)

May be a txt dump of this should be a good starting point for us.

#CORNER POINTS A0 - (0,0) A1 - (1,0) … …

#SPLINE INFORMATION Spline1 - points - (A0,A1) bpoint1 - (0.25,0) bpoint2 - (0.75,0)

forgot to post the link

How is a curve stored in .val ? as a series of points ?

You are not first who think that he can easily read Valentina’s pattern format. Yes, this is just an XML based text file. But we do not store raw data inside. Instead we store instructions for Valentina how to calculate distances, angles, radiuses etc.

As an object curve with references (by id) to four points.

I don’t think Valentina is good choise for you. You probably need another solution.

Hey Dismine , We are really in an experimental mode right now , trying to get some prototypes done. It would be great if we can have a detailed discussion on Valentina + Blender Integration. May be a video call. We would love to contribute to this .obj exporter project in Valentina, main reason being the parametric nature of the software.

Is it possible to export the corner points alone ?
Using the corner points , inner points created by .svg import we can optimise for the best bezier parameters in blender. How about this approach ?

If not Valentina , can u suggest other softwares that are free and parametric enough like Valentina that we can look at ? Your help is very appreciated!

On level of piece we have data about path nodes you want: point and curve. I think this is what you need. Theoretically you can export this data.

Sorry, no. If i would know such application i would never start to develop Valentina.

see!! so our best bet is to write the exporter for Valentina to get point and curve data out.

Also I checked out the .xml file , I am impressed how such a small file/instructions is doing so much magic behind. My expectations from the .val file were completely different until I opened it.

My Blender corrupted me to look for cordinates and edges , but this “series of calculations” is really impressive for me :slight_smile:

So where do I start to understand the source to write the required exporter ?

Okay, first we should agree that we are speaking about current develop branch (future release 0.5.0).

When you have a detail on your pattern you can now extract data from class VPiece. Use search by name. The main path you need saved inside class VPiecePath. I don’t know how you will save data, but you can extract all data you need from this classes. All after VPiece that go to layout are converted to polyline.

This is the develop branch vpiece.cpp file … right ?

Sorry for the elementary questions , won’t it be a good idea to start at the svg exporter code , which I am assuming will call the class vpiece and vpiece_path to create the svg points and curves

I can start modifying that code to get more control over the corner points and object curve(4points).

We use Qt library for export to svg. So, no this is not a good idea.

If all would so easy.

I don’t think you quite ready to discuss with me your plan. Spend some time for preparing and we will return to this discussion. Don’t seek an easy solution. What you want is not easy to achieve. This is hacking the code. If you are really planning to hack the code your questions should be more specific.

All right … I’ll check the code and get back later. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

@histin

Can I use your blender video as video part of my Valentina tutorial video?

Which video are you talking about ? If you want me to make a high quality version of that video , can provide that too. Happy to help :slight_smile:

I’ll make a tutorial video of Pattern Making for Valentina users. Target audience is people, who don’t know what pattern making is, but want to start to use Valentina.

One of subject is to show how to transfer the 2D fabric in to 3D garment. Your video shows that perfectly. Yes, the HD version would be excellent.

1 Like

Are you referring to this video Stitching Simulation by TRI3D - YouTube

This is the best version I have.

Yes. It is the one. I would be happy to use that one

1 Like